RI Veterans: Did you know? 14 October 21 – John A. Cianci

by John A Cianci, Department Veterans Service Officer, 

                             Italian American War Veterans (ITAM)

Follow-up on Dental Care:

Since the column last week on Dental options, Aspen Dental announced a FREE Day of Service for Veterans on November 6, 2021. On this day at participating Aspen Dental Practices, Aspen offers FREE dental care for veterans from 8am-1pm.

APPOINTMENTS are required and veterans can call 844-ASPEN-HMN to find the nearest location and make an appointment.

VETTIP: Call early, as appointments fill up fast.


Q I am told my military records have been lost in a fire in St. Louis and have a claim pending with the VA requiring my medical documents that were lost. What do I do? –  Email from Lou in Delaware

A First, I would complete VA form 21-4138, Statement in Support of Claim, with a simple statement about what you are requesting, submit attached NA Form 13055, and ask for the VA to forward to National Archives to reconstruct your military records.

Second, copy the documents and mail the VA Form 4138 with attached NA Form 13055 to Janesville, Wisconsin. You can mail in evidence to them at PO Box 5235, Janesville, WI, 53547-5235

 VETTIP: Ensure you keep a copy of all documents submitted to the VA.


Did you know a veteran can submit a request to have his or her medical records reconstructed by submitting a Request for Information Needed to Reconstruct Medical Data (NA Form 13055), .  

How to Request Medical Records That Can’t Be Located

According to the VA, in 1973, a fire at the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis, Missouri, destroyed the records held for Veterans who were discharged from the Army and Air Force during certain periods of time. Find out if your records may have been destroyed in this fire, and how to reconstruct your records to support a VA disability compensation claim.

Were my records destroyed in the 1973 NPRC fire in St. Louis?

Your records may have been destroyed in the fire if you were discharged from either:

The Army between November 1, 1912, and January 1, 1960. The fire destroyed 80% of the records held for Veterans discharged from the Army during this time period. The fire didn’t involve records for retirees and Reservists who were alive on July 12, 1973.

Or the Air Force between September 25, 1947, and January 1, 1964. The fire destroyed 75% of the records held for Veterans discharged from the Air Force during this time period with surnames beginning with “Hubbard” and running through the end of the alphabet.

How does VA reconstruct my records?

We submit a specific request to the NPRC for any additional service records they may have or can find for you. With the information we provide, the NPRC searches for documents that may help to reconstruct your records. They may also reach out to other government agencies. For example, they may try to reconstruct portions of your service treatment records by reviewing unit records, morning reports, and hospital admission records from the surgeon general’s office.

How can I get the records I need to support my VA disability compensation claim?

If you’re filing a VA disability compensation claim, follow the steps below to get the records you need.

Fill out the National Archives request for information form.

You’ll need to fill out a Request for Information Needed to Reconstruct Medical Data (NA Form 13055). We’ll use this form as our request to the NPRC to reconstruct your records. 

Please give us as much information as you can about your assignments during service, including any of the below that apply to you:








Download NA Form 13055 (PDF)

Gather or request other records or documents

We’ll also look at other records or documents (called “supplemental records”) to help decide your claim. You can provide these records or ask us to help you find them. 

Please send us any of these documents you may have:

Statements from service medical personnel

Certified “buddy” statements or affidavits from fellow service members who witnessed your injury or illness

Military accident and police reports

Examination reports related to employment or insurance

Letters or photographs from your time in the service

Prescription records

Photocopies of any service treatment records or medical reports from any private hospitals, clinics, or doctors who treated you during service or shortly after separation.

Submit your disability compensation claim, NA Form 13055, and any supporting documents. 

You can file your claim online, by mail, in person, or with the help of a trained professional. For claims involving the reconstruction of records, we encourage you to work with a professional, such as an accredited attorney, claims agent, or Veterans Service Officer (VSO).

Make sure to include your NA Form 13055 (PDF) and any supplemental records or other documents you may have with your claim.

Now you know how to have the VA request to National Archives to reconstruct your medical records lost or can’t be located to support your claim.



Sunday, November 7, 2021,  Salute to Veterans, Comedy Show 5pm doors open, show starts 600pm, ComedyFactoryRI and Italian American War Veterans of United States, Inc. host the show at Assembly Theatre , Harrisville RI. The event is free for all members and their guest of the town of Burriville’s American Legion and Veterans of Foreign War post (contact your post commanders for tickets) and members of Vietnam Veterans James Ray Chapter. All other tickets will be $10.

Beer and wine will be available , along with other refreshments. All attendees will be encouraged to bring canned goods for the town’s local food pantry.

Saturday, November 20, 2021, Comedy/Dinner show at the Naval Officers Club, Newport RI. John Perrotta’s ComedyfactoryRI comedians will perform at the Veteran Fundraiser. Tickets are $50 per person, dinner at 5:00. Show starts at 6:00PM. 

Event is sponsored by the Italian American War Veterans and all veterans residing at the Veterans Home the event will be free, to include a ticket for their guest.  Sponsorships for a veteran attending from the Veterans Home, are encouraged for those who can’t attend, $50 (which covers the veteran and a guest). More information contact ITAMVET or (401)-677-9838. Tickets also available on 




Applebees Applebee’s – Military Discount … With more than 2,000 locations, Applebee’s is a family grill restaurant. Applebee’s gives 10% off for active duty and veteran. Last verified 07/31/2028

Denny’s, Hartford Save Johnston Offers 10% discount for veterans and active duty.  Denny’s is a table service diner-style restaurant chain.  Last verified 07/31/2028 (PS I had breakfast there on Saturday).

Outback Steakhouse 10% Discount to active and veterans. Last verified 07/28/2021

99 Restaurant & Pub: The 99 Restaurant & Pub offers a 10% military discount to members of Veterans Advantage. Available at select locations only. Bring valid military ID.


Advance Auto Parts 10% for Active Duty, Veterans and families. Last verified 07/28/2021 

Bass Pro Shops: Bass Pro Shops offers a 5% discount to active duty military, reservists, and National Guard. Sign up and verify your status online or bring your military ID when you shop at your nearest Bass Pro store (source).

BJs Wholesale Reduced membership fee. J’s offers all military personnel over 25% off their Membership. Last verified 07/28/2021

Lowes. Enroll in the Lowe’s Military Discount Program to Activate Your 10% Discount

Our way of saying “Thank You” to our active duty, retired and military veterans and their spouses with a 10% discount on eligible items. 

Verification of your military status is fast and easy through our partner, is our trusted technology partner in helping to keep your personal information safe.

GameStop is offering a 10% in-store military discount on all pre-owned products, collectibles, and select new products. Available to current and former military members who bring any valid proof of service or when they verify through

Home Depot Home Depot offers a 10% OFF military discount on regularly priced merchandise for in-store purchases for active duty, retired military, and reservists at participating locations. Customers are required to show a valid government-issued military ID card to redeem this offer.

Kohls 15% Kohl’s offers active military, veterans, retirees and their immediate family members a 15% discount on purchases made on Mondays, in store only. In order to receive the military discount, eligible customers must present proper identification along with any tender type.


We didn’t want to wait for Veteran’s Day to express our appreciation and gratitude for your service. That’s why every Team Car Care owned and operated Jiffy Lube® service center is offering our BEST discount of 15% OFF as a “Thank You” to the men and women of our Armed Forces for their service to our country. *Disclaimer*- I.D. required. No coupon is required. Excludes batteries and brakes, alignment, and diagnostic services. Available only at select locations listed below:

Tioque Ave, Coventry RI

Bald Hill Road, Warwick RI

Park Ave, Cranston RI

Michaels Michaels Stores offers a 15% OFF military discount on the entire in-store purchase including sale items for active duty, retired military, guard, reservists, veterans and family members. How to get – 

1.    Create an Account. Log in or create a Michaels Rewards account.

2.    Get Verified. Provide your military information to get verified instantly.

3.    Go Shopping! To use your discount online and in store, just sign into your account or provide your Michaels Rewards phone number at checkout.

O’Reilly Auto Parts 10% discount on in store items for Active Duty, Veterans and families. Last verified 3/4/21.


If you are a retailer and or a veteran aware of a business not listed above, please forward to:  the business’s name , location, and military and veteran discount offered, have an event, meeting, other pertinent veteran information, or email questions or help needed, contact the Italian American War Veteran Service Officer, John A Cianci,, ITAM Office 1-(401)677-9VET(9838)


To read all columns in this series go to:


John A. Cianci is a Veteran Service Officer. Retired, U.S. Army MSgt., Persian Gulf War and Iraq War combat theater.

Cianci, a combat disabled Veteran, served in Desert Shield/Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. His awards include Bronze Star, Combat Action Badge, Good Conduct, and others.

Cianci belongs to numerous veterans organizations – Italian American War Veterans, American Legion, Veterans of Foreign War, United Veterans Council of Rhode Island, and many more organizations. He is an active volunteer assisting veterans to navigate federal and state benefits they have earned. He is Department of Rhode Island Department Commander Italian American War Veterans and Veteran Service Officer.

He is a graduate of Roger Williams University (BS Finance), UCONN business school* (Entrepreneur Bootcamp For Veterans), Solar Energy International Residential, Commercial and Battery Based Photovoltaic Systems certificate programs, numerous certificates from the Department of Defense renewable energy programs, including graduate of the Solar Ready Vets Program.